The world is quickly changing and I know there is a lot of uncertainty around at the minute. However throughout our new world, birth is still going to happen.
With free hospital antenatal classes being cancelled around the state, you may be left feeling lost, scared, sad or confused. But rest assured Mama Bear, you have options and I am here to help!
Of course there is the Hypnobirthing Australia™ Positive Birth Program which can be purchased (you can check out my available services here), but I know spending money may not be an option for all people in the current climate. This doesn’t mean you can’t prepare for your birth and I can still help guide you.
“I think one of the best things we could do would be to help women/parents/families discover their own birth power, from within themselves. And to let them know it’s always been there, they just needed to tap into it.” – John H. Kennell, MD
So what are some things that you should do whilst preparing yourself for birth?
- Surround yourself with positive birth stories and experiences.
- Base your decisions for your care and birth on research based evidence.
- Educate yourself on different interventions / procedures so you understand your options when in labour.
- Spend time bonding with your baby to connect with the little human/s you are growing (you can grab my freebie here, which explains why this is important and shows you simple activities you can do).
- Have in depth discussions with your birth partner about your birth preferences and have them all written out to discuss with your care provider (you will find a fab blog post here written by Vicki Hobbs on why your birth plan is so powerful).
- Create a vision board with pictures, words, affirmations, visualisations and anything else that feels good to you and reminds you of the type of birth you are working towards.
I have pulled a list together of some of my favourite FREE resources that you can use to plan, prepare and research all things pregnancy, birth and postpartum.
I hope you find this resource list helpful in this time of uncertainty.
Online Programs & Documentaries
- Evidence Based Birth free birth class ‘Birthing in the time of COVID-19 Crash Course’
- Bub Savvy: Life with a newborn. Online workshop currently being offered for free (usually $55).
- ‘The Business of Being Born’ and ‘More Business of Being Born’ Currently available to stream for free
Blogs & Research Resources
Most of these pages have a search function so if there is a topic you would like more information on you can quickly and easily do a specific search.
- Evidence Based Birth
- Midwife Thinking (Dr Rachel Reed)
- Dr Sara Wickham
- Vicki Hobbs – Back to Basics Birthing
- Perth Hypnobirthing
- Sarah J. Buckley
Most of these podcasts can be found via Spotify, Apple Podcasts or wherever you usually listen to your podcasts. Otherwise these links will take you to their websites to listen.
- Back to Basics Birthing with Vicki Hobbs
- Australian Birth Stories
- VBAC Birth Stories
- Talks with the Feminine
- Natural Hospital Birthing
- Homebirth Group Australia
- Books about Birth (cheap second hand books). Suggested titles to look out for include:
- Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering – Sarah J. Buckley
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth – Ina May Gaskin
- Spiritual Midwifery – Ina May Gaskin
- Childbirth Without Fear – Grantly Dick-Read
- Well Adjusted Babies – Jennifer Barham-Floreani